Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Artist

I got some very bad news today. I found out that a friend from many years ago and who was the brother of my BEST friend died. I had been out of touch with their family for a number of years and had basically lost track of where everyone was and how their lives were going. It's so easy to get caught up with the day to day B.S. That's not an excuse and certainly not a reason, but it does seem to be the norm...... at least for the people I know. This very special man was a man of many talents and abilities. He was extremely artistic. Maybe that was his forte, but he had so many other talents. He composed poetry, and sewed better than most women I know. Give him a road show and watch him put together 50 - 100 costumes. Needless to say.... those to whom much is given - much is expected. Maybe too much was expected of Randy. Maybe those expectations were his own more than anyone else's. I don't know. As I said, I've been out of the loop a very long time, but here's my take on this with very little knowledge of the situation to back it up. Whatever was the burden.... regardless of what we all think we'd do or could do, it was too much for this sensitive spirit. It's not my job to judge.... only to love and that's what I intend to do. For some reason, when I heard this news I thought of the words to the old song Starry Starry Night which talks about Vincent Van Gogh (another artist):

For they could not love you, but still your love was true
And when no hope was left in sight, on that starry starry night
You took your life as lovers often do,
But I could have told you, Vincent,
This world was never meant for one as beautiful as you

Maybe this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you too, Randy.

My love to you. My love to your family. My gratefulness to my own family for the joy I share with them on a daily basis.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Hey Mom........ You need to start posting on your blog again.......